Image Image Image Image Image
Scroll to Top

To Top

Reflection

My primary intent in writing this opinion editorial was to educate individuals on the concept and issues of colorism in South Asia. This is an issue I consider to be important to me as I am part of the community and so to write about it to bring exposure to the toxicity and major impact colorism can have on individuals is a big deal for me. The website I hope to have it be published to is the Huffpost. One of the missions that the Huffpost identifies itself with is having the ability to report with empathy and put people at the heart of every story. I believe that my op-ed would fit best in this setting as talking about the struggles one may face due to their skin color is definitely a topic that can incite passion and so to have a publisher open to utilizing such passion and excitement to further their argument would be the most ideal publishing company. Furthermore, the Huffpost reaches a diverse audience of varying ages and races. The audience I targeted specifically in my opinion article were those who were unaware of the issue or those who want to learn more about it.

I believe I was able to reach out to my audience by providing the details I did. Considering the fact that they are individuals hoping to be educated on the topic it was essential I included information such as the definition of colorism and where it originated. As written in the editorial, “I believe in order to truly understand the nature of this unfortunate phenomenon, it is imperative to look into the cause of colorism in South Asia.” Had my audience been those aware of the issue, they would not have needed the context behind the situation. The action I wanted my audience to take from this writing was just to be more conscious of the problem. The purpose being that colorism no longer be encouraged and accepted as normal, but rather have society themself point out that it is immoral and unjust.

I strived to keep the same language as other Huffpost opinion editorials. This means that syntax can be utilized to emphasize portions of the writing that relied more heavily on empathy and passion. For example, there are multiple instances throughout the writing where I express my genuine thoughts on colorism and use short sentences to highlight how serious the idea being written about is. One such example of this was when I wrote, “It is a phenomena every South Asian must experience.” Because of the sentence length, readers are able to understand the severity of the issue at hand. If I had written a sentence including more information than this, it would have been harder for readers to focus on the intent.

The op-ed also utilizes an informative tone throughout the writing as it strives to solely educate others on the root causes as well as current effects of colorism on South Asian. This informative tone was achieved by mentioning primary accounts of how girls today perceive and respond to prejudice and also by the inclusion of words taken from scholarly articles which explain the beginnings of such philosophies. The use of logos was expressed through the explanation of the origins of colorism as that piece included research dating to pre-colonial times. Pathos was expressed through the inclusion of Buzzfeed’s first hand accounts of scenarios gone through. I mention my personal experience with colorism in the very first paragraph so I believe this use of ethos establishes my credibility as the author of this article. Additionally, I mentioned multiple times that I am a Bangladeshi woman meaning that I myself have experienced the colorism I speak about. This opinion editorial taught me how to effectively make use of a variety of writing methods in order to more impactfully convey my message. I hope to apply what I learned from this experience into more writing pieces moving forward.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message